Christmas 2023: An Honest Review

Well, here we are. Our first Christmas without Hyrum. A time-intensive gift kept me busy enough not to think about it for the first two weeks of December, but I sure do feel it now. I’m usually so joyful, grateful, jazzed for the activities we do at Christmas time. We’ve still done all the Christmas things, but day by day that heavy feeling grew inside of me… “I just don’t want a Christmas if my Hyrum isn’t here.” Why bother with gifts if what I want is just… my son?

And all the season’s magic, all the parties and the lights are trying hard to trick me. I’m the only sad one, right? All my other friends are happy, frosting cookies, hanging colored lights… I know that isn’t really true. But it’s taken a good cry and some solid journaling and a good scripture study to give me back perspective, and the courage to just let this Christmas holiday be sad.

Two years ago, the kids and I made a million gingerbread cookies and delivered them with songs and notes at a rest home. We walked there on a sunny December day. This year, instead of making those cookies with Hyrum, I made them FOR him, and we delivered them to Hyrum’s radiation team. They always tried so hard for him. They gave him countless presents, and when he finished his treatment they decorated the whole lobby, gave him a big group gift, and invited a live Spidey guest to congratulate him. I still cry when I think about it. Those cookies that we shared today, they really lifted me. It felt good, instead of aching for the joy I wish I felt, to just be grateful for the goodness we have found within the sad. There is so much of it. There are thoughtful messages from friends, who still carry our grief. Tonight a Secret Santa came, cuz I just really needed to be seen, and known, and loved. Those gifts were really saying: “We know this year is different. It’s okay to feel that way. Just let yourself be lifted.”

Here is one more snapshot into the feels of the season. Though I’ve lost those soft, warm fuzzies that once came at Christmas time, I’ve felt instead an urgent need for Jesus to be born. And I feel a little alone in that? Besides Michael, of course, who feels this probably even more than I do. Like, church can seem so routine and it’s so hard to talk about anything vulnerable or deep in a hallway conversation…. And again, I get tricked into thinking that no one else needs church like I do. I REALLY need to be there. I need my bond with God.

I NEED that little Savior, that kind Healer, Christ Divine.
I held him through my crucible
and still, right now, I seek him
with each hurt or hope of mine.

Is it I alone who needs Him?

I am lonely, weary, worn,
and watching close for stars that lead
to where the babe is born.
I know the age old story,
that time-worn nativity.
This year, please tell me tales
of “Christ in 2023”.
What silent ache compelled you
to seek solace in His light?
And did He really heal you?
Did He make your burden light?
Or if you’re still out seeking
tell me why you even try?
When faith is so unpopular,
why stay and live this life?
If I am just one shepherd,
who will sing His birth to me?
Or if I play the wise man
who will join to make it three?
I want a live nativity.
I need you at my side.
Please tell me you, too, need Him.

Do you?
How?
And when?
And why?

Comments

  1. I need Him every day. I always feel so self sufficient but I'm not. I'm so dependent and I'm just starting to realize how much. Merry Christmas. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have also experienced loss this past year — very different in that both of Niel’s 90 year old parents passed within two months of each other. Similar in that we, especially Niel and his siblings have missed their parents’ encouragement and unconditional love. 💕 I need my Savior every day. You express incredible sincerity! I love ❤️ you and Michael and Erica❣️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My comment is just above. And yes, I have felt the presence of the Holy Ghost as I pray for comfort an wisdom. Teresa Corry

      Delete
  3. Hello from Belgium.

    Celeste and I will be somewhere in Europe for the next few weeks. Our daughter hasn’t really said where we will be going on the next adventure until we get there. It’s a blast. Family time with your group being the only ones conversing in English is interesting to say the least.

    Celeste and I are so happy to know that her sweet mother has time to enjoy Paradise while we still miss her loving smile. (I had to stop and wipe my tears just to write that.) Our routine is changing back to a married couple. We now look forward to traveling to visit our children and their families.

    Look forward, pause, and look back……..repeat often.
    Live life, grieve, grow from both experiences.
    The Light of Christ will show you how to do both, with love and a fuller understanding.

    We send our best wishes for a wonderful Christmas holiday season.

    Phil and Celeste Crockett

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggled to find my place as a mom who stays at home and a mom who also works. I found my relationship with my husband was strained because I was devoting so much of myself to our son and my job (which are all valid focuses). One night we were unable to feel peace and there was constant tension and contention. As we climbed into bed, I realized we hadn't said our bedtime prayers in quite a few weeks and suggested that we do so. Almost as soon as I started a prayer that we said together (not just in my head by myself), the spirit filled the room and we both settled our minds and remembered that these tough times and sometimes overwhelming moments are temporary in the grand scheme. We need Him every day -- always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thank you. This story is precious to me. Thank you for sharing. -Erica

      Delete
  5. I read your post late last night. I have three sick kiddos right now and two of them were struggling. I laid in bed despairing about what to do to help them and despairing about my own sleep deprivation on top of being sick myself, and caring for my colicky baby. All in all I was feeling pretty sorry for myself, praying for peace and strength to get through the night. I reminded myself of the many years of silent nights of infertility as I studied the perfect curves of my baby’s face, peaceful at the moment in my bed. It feels like a different life of a different person compared to the current my reality. It’s hard to grasp the feelings of both extremes, and the gratitude that I should be filled with despite my current physical state, at least in the dead of night. My struggles aren’t in the same realm as yours by any means, but I too crave the companionship of the Savior to get me through the long nights. Love you Erica! Wishing you and your family peace this Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rarely respond, if ever, to public posts, but this time I feel to share and answer your searching questions. There are so many sorrows in this world. You and Micheal have experienced one of the hardest ever. I’m sure the old joy is not completely there. But, I am here to bear witness that God does see you! He hears you! He knows you! He will continue to guide you! He loves you! He lives to make burdens like yours lighter! He is there. Look everyday for His blessings and go to sleep each night counting those blessings! I’ve seen it work in my own life.❤️

    This is for you from “The Handel’s Messiah”:
    “He shall feed his flock like a shepherd, and he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in His bosom and gently lead those that are with young, and gentle lead those that are with young.”
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I follow Christ as well. I follow Him because He has healed me and lightened my burdens. I haven't found that healing or strength anywhere else. You are not alone. ❤️
    Alma 8:15
    Mosiah 24:12-17
    Alma 7:11-13
    3 Nephi 9:14, 17-18
    Moroni 7:33

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Maces. I looked for an email, but this should work too. We don't know each other, but our paths crossed in May? 2022 when you were flying from Denver to Oregon for Hyrum's Make a Wish Trip to go to the beach. I appreciated your strength and positive attitude at the time and have thought about Hyrum and you a lot since then. This last year I started to create Vlogs and in my latest Vlog on a trip we took to Turkey it made me think of our Oregon Coast trip which made me think of Hyrum. I am so sorry for your (and the worlds loss). I put a very small tribute to him in my vlog. After I finished editing I found out my Uncle had passed also from Cancer, so I added a tribute to him as well. Hyrum mentions are at 10:57 and 18:39 . Now that I have found your Blog I will continue to follow and learn from you. Thank you sharing about this difficult journey. It has made random people like me a better parent, husband and person. Hyrum certainly lives on inside of me. https://youtu.be/zzlEhUEAcxo?si=PXH6biMakvyURaR_

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Ex boyfriend who left me came back ,.

    (He is now madly in love with me),

    (He vowed never to breakup with me again)..

    You can Make your Ex love you again..

    Thank you! Dr_mack(@ yahoo. com)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment