The Abundant(ly Complex and Complete) Life

Will it get old if I start every blog post by telling you how grateful I am for you? It is deeply humbling to watch the way our sweet friends and family have continued to minister to us. This weekend, my sister visited the city where Hyrum attended his clinical trial in California. She sent me a picture with two of my sweet CA friends, and I honestly cried just looking at their faces... Because it reminded me how many of you have stepped up to be direct conduits of God's love for me. People I didn't even know. People who are carrying their own heavy burdens. People like you. 

We are home again in Oklahoma. It's 9 weeks since Hyrum died. And we are... all the things. We are busy. We are joyful. We are hurting. Against all odds, we are functioning!! I've been cooking and cleaning and playing. The kids are sleeping in their own beds again. We're back to regular church assignments, and it's lovely to have space (mental, physical, & emotional) to serve and help again. Michael is relishing some "new" in our very familiar setting, and he started a new remote job today. I love that man. 

Grief is working its way through every part of me, constantly surprising me with its new iterations. Unpredictably, it runs through my body: all-day lethargy or adrenaline, an ever-so-slightly receding hairline (funny but also NOT lol). It seeps through my brain: sporadic nightmares and stress-responses to small triggers like fresh strawberries in my fridge. Those moments come and go. But ALWAYS, grief spurs many feelings: surplus compassion, quiet sadness, a hunger for joyful living. 

The depth and breadth of feeling I'm experiencing now is unlike anything I've ever known. That hunger? Because of it, I AM living joyfully. I wake early. I study. I pray. There's pickleball, dance class, the city volleyball league. We visit and host countless neighbors and friends. I give lots of long, hard hugs. We meet up with friends at parks, do an RV camping trip, join in book clubs, eat good snacks. I take hot showers and have long, hot cries. I rest and clean and pray. We are feeling joy. 

And every time I go to God with grief's array of wounds, I feel Him reassuring me "You can be ALL of this." Be joyful, yes. Be sad. Be wounded, fragile, real, AND full of power, love, and light. After all, isn't God Alpha AND Omega? The beginning AND the end? He who is and was and is to come? (Rev. 1:8) I think this is sustainable- this grief, this joy, this love. The details still feel new, like just how much to share with strangers, how to craft a changed day's plan, how to balance hurt with healing, how to honestly use time. I've already flipped through many other "How to" questions, and I've felt many tender answers as I study Jesus Christ. He has nudged me to read scripture and read up on trauma, too. He empowers me and also lets me need some helpers, too. 

We miss Hyrum. So much. But we are living a good life. An abundant one (John 10:10). We know Hyrum is, too. 

Comments

  1. Thinking of you always, and missing seeing those beautiful faces every week. Thank you for continuing to share yourselves with us ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m with Renae

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenni HarringtonMay 2, 2023 at 1:32 AM

    You and your family are beautiful and amazing and so strong. I have had you in my thoughts and prayers so much through your journey and just want to say I love you guys. I have always been impressed with your kindness and strength. Thanks for continuing to share your thoughts and feelings. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many emotions. I can’t even imagine. Continued prayers for you and your family and to continue healing and living life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erica, I hope the day isn't too far distant that I'll get to hug you in person again. Thank you for sharing your journey with us, the hard parts, the beautiful parts, all that's in your mind and heart. Love you forever my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So great to hear about your lives Erica and that life is moving forward for all of you, little by little. We are grateful for those small daily blessings too. Here in Utah, it feels like “Winter”, with all its meanings, has truly passed for a season and that “Spring” is now in charge, giving us a new and hopeful perspective. We love you❤️ carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to hear some of your joy. Love you Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m so glad to have you back in Church with us. We’ve followed your journey and felt such sadness when you lost Hyrum. Ever so often I’ll run across the pics from the park last April, after you had gotten the diagnosis. I am always amazed at your words and strength. But if you ever feel that strength is missing or low- you know I’m here for you. Love you Erica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love you. Father and Hyrum are proud of how you are all handling this. I recently learned that singing in a choir helps the brain heal after trauma. Just a thought. You are wonderful, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All our love, sweet Maces! Always rooting for you ❤️ Tawny

    ReplyDelete
  11. We’re glad happiness is a focus for the Mace family. We’re enjoying our time with Donnie. She seems to have lost more short term memory. It’s of no real concern because we understand her happiness depends on ours. We drive all over town in her Cadillac. It’s old but we love that we can get her in and out easily. Donnie is constantly commenting on the beauty of the mountains, snow and now all the blossoming trees and flowers. Celeste has been spectacular in her love and care for her mother. We love reading about the lives of your kids and sweet Michael.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment