Figs, Meaninglessness, etc.

I had a brush with meaninglessness this weekend… like “If I couldn’t save Hyrum, can I do anything worthwhile?” And “If things of such value (like a child’s life) are subject to the whims of mortality, is agency and human effort even a real force at all?” I cried at night. I sat outside at sunrise, praying and hurting and more. I asked Michael for a blessing, and I went to the temple. I baked cookies and followed through with my plans with friends. Eventually, the cloud of meaninglessness subsided. 

In the temple, that blessedly solid, granite building that felt eternal enough to quell existential doubts, I had the same prompting that I felt there right after Hyrum’s death. “Just keep going. You have more to do and more to be. You are not done yet.” It’s encouraging, but also… I’m tired? Lol And often unsure how to use my broken pieces to do good. I think the message from God is half “Your brokenness is needed. Please go share.” and partly “It doesn’t matter what you achieve- just don’t hold still too long and get stuck in the sink hole of new grief.” 

It's a decent plan: just keep baking and cleaning and hosting and trying and crying and asking help from God. On a related note, Jesus’s curse of the fig tree really struck me this week, especially since Mark points out that it wasn’t even fig season yet. That didn’t seem very fair! I needed to know more. The event probably happened in March (based on Passover timing.) Fig trees usually fruit in May. Some even bear fruit before they grow leaves, though most species are not that way. Based on Israel’s mild winters, however, 
there is a chance the fig tree could have produced fruit in March, but it would have been unusual timing. 

As I studied, the spirit impressed me that God knows when to expect early fruit- from me and from fig trees. I am in a season of life where all that’s really expected of me is grief (which I don’t mind! I’d rather exceed gentle expectations than labor under unrealistic demands.) God still expects me to produce, however, in and through my grief. I go to Him frequently for direction on who and how and when to serve, because He knows me and the people I love, and He knows how to balance it all. 

Sometimes, He tells me to go visit those young friends on my most busy, big-feeling day, and serving them lifts me beyond my familiar grief. Sometimes, He tells me that He still cries too, and that it is okay if I do, and that I always will. Often, He sends a tiny, glowing “Yes”, that tells me I am making progress, that He sees me flex and grow. I'm not the person that I planned... and as per metaphor, it's March- too soon, too wet, too cold. 

But I am making pie crusts. I am laughing. Singing songs. I cry and then host dinner. I take walks when trauma calls. I ask God, once again, "How can I do this while in pain?" And cosmic currents carry me around the river's bend. 

I think we’re growing figs. 

Comments

  1. Rosanne RobertsonMay 23, 2023 at 1:05 PM

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for an update. I've been wondering how you all are doing. I'll keep praying for your family. 💕

    ReplyDelete
  3. You use beautiful language to express your thoughts and feelings so well. Keep trying. You are loved! Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how hard to keep going and living. I can’t imagine your pain and grief. I hope you feel Hyrum spurring you on. Prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love and hugs to you and your family from the Nields.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erica you are a strong person! I am sure it is hard but each day whether good or bad you will carry on. Always know you are loved and cared for by everyone especially God!
    Come over and we can talk or just sit and share! With all my love.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love ❤️ your ability to express tender, seemingly difficult-to-share feelings. When you receive promptings to keep on going, my vote is that you keep on writing. You likely have no idea how meaningful sharing daily “meaninglessness” is to those of us who are on the “struggle bus”. I love you, Erica!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sólo quiero enviarte un grande, apretado y largo abrazo. Todo tiene su tiempo, el de llorar y el de sonreír. Te quiero querida compañera. Rebeca Baturité

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dear sister, I can feel your grief so near Christ's. It's a path outside Gethsemani. It's your privilige to be there, He crying with you anguishly, pure tears of eternal love.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment