The Way He Lives and Dies

Sometimes I know I need to write something, but there's so much emotion in it that it makes me shaky. Writing is recognizing. Naming. Acknowledging and accepting reality... And that is hard to do.

Hyrum is dying. Not exactly the most shocking news... He doesn't drink anymore, doesn't even sit up. He eats little, and just the act of chewing spends more calories than he'll make from each bite. He is sometimes restless, uncomfortable, bothered by noise. He needs a mid-day nap now just to make it through the day. The shocking part is not that he is dying, though- it's HOW he is doing it. 

Hyrum spends hours laying quietly, staring at his Jesus picture, placed beside his throne. He requested dozens of them, actually, to be taped around the room in specific, easy to view locations. In moments of miscommunication, he never gives up trying to be clear about his needs. Talking is HARD, but he always tries again. He patiently waits through Caleb and Emily's playful chatter until his head is so full that it hurts. His pain tolerance is immense, as is his patience with his caregivers. Even when he's hurt, upset, and so misunderstood, I feel his self-restraint. His strength. His love for me and us. 

Last week, he turned over in bed and handed me one of his precious gold chocolate coins. "For... helping... me", he said. He asked my mom for some new trinket toys, then slipped them into bags for Caleb and Emily, gifting it to them one toy at a time. He's dispersed his California shells to family, explaining "This... will... help... you... remember... me... when... I... die." Hyrum was given his favorite Bugle chips today, and he spent 30 minutes tracking the distance between the bag and 10 small red party cups with his shaky hands. 

He'd wobble as he grabbed some chips, then slowly lift and find the cup, then strain his neck to see the ones he'd spilled. He'd pinch around each fallen chip, then finally feel it, grab it, place it in the tiny cup. So slowly. So unsteadily. So... unbothered by it all. He didn't mind his nerve-shot hands or almost blinded eyes. He wanted to share what he loves, to give good gifts, to serve. He didn't eat a single chip, but shared them with us all. He's calm. Content with what he is. How does he manage that?!

He's sucking every ounce of life from each new day he has. He holds tight to his pocket knife. He asks me not to leave. He chases light and shares it in those tiny, godly ways. He's living, and he's dying... Somehow he is doing both. 

I always thought of death as an event, a sudden end. The impetus is elsewhere, right? Grim Reaper, all that jazz. I guess that's sometimes how it goes. But this? It's something else. Death might come in an instant, but the dying? It is long. It's something you can shape and change, as Hyrum's doing now.

Death is a rightful child of life,
companion to us all.
My living is its childhood.
Will I be intentional?
Do I make death an orphan?
Cast out suffering and pain?
I may, but they've inheritance
that they will come to claim.
Or will I face the truths of death
and let them in my home?
The dying could be lovely,
if I've claimed it as my own.
My Hyrum? He has done it, and still is.
He's earned his throne.


Comments

  1. 🙏🏼❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I admire and love Hyrum's very soul. Thank you for sharing so tenderly what you see from your valiant and generous son. Thank you for sharing the heartache you feel, so that we can pray and keep you all in our thoughts. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love you and your family- many prayers for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE, just plain, simple, love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is a blessing…and blessed

    ReplyDelete
  6. No words…just ❤️‍🩹

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only a few words….. LOVE and PRAYERS.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so humbled by this little child . Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been waiting for an update. I'm so happy to read your thoughts today. Hyrum is amazing and his service to others is just amazing. He is such a wonderful example. I love you guys and pray for your family continually. 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and thoughtful post. Thank you for the spiritual insights and loving observations. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Erica, 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  12. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love you ALL. Proud to be connected to you. Grateful for your faith and confidence in the Plan of Happiness. I can testify that Hyrum's spirit will continue as an intelligent, thinking, conscious young man. He will be so close to you! Life didn't start at birth nor will it end with death. May you feel the Comforter near each day. <3 Todd Jorgensen

    ReplyDelete
  14. This account which details Hyrum’s choice to live while dying is beautiful & incredibly inspiring. Thank you for the details of his selflessness & for sharing these days with us. Thank you for your own exquisite words. We send our love & continuous prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Death comes to everyone but in such different ways and times. I send my love to all of you and pray for peace to each heart. Aunt Nancy K.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Erica, thank you for sharing these glimpses into this sacred time for you and your family. Know that we love you all and are praying for you. You and Michael are incredible human beings who are the perfect parents for that sweet, amazing Hyrum. Much love to you and all your family ❤️❤️-Celi N.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for your words. Hyrum is such an example of being like Jesus. In living- loving God and loving everyone. And in dying- loving God and loving everyone. May we all strive to be more like that. We love sweet Hyrum and you all. ❤️🙏❤️
    -Andrea A

    ReplyDelete
  18. Each of us can make such a wonderful difference in the lives of those around us, if we choose to exemplify and show Christlike love to others. It seems Hyrum has chosen to follow the example he has been given by his sweet parents. To me it has been very apparent that your children love the same things you do. Hold fast to the knowledge that the Spirit has testified to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Erica and family. We are praying for your comfort. What a wonderful little boy Hyrum is. Love, Martha and Perry Christensen

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am with my counterparts in the Anonymous Club. There really are no words. I pray that you feel our vibrations of love.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment