The Last Days

Well, it’s been a while! Hyrum is still here. He has a few days left, we think. He had a solid week of eating only sherbet (and by eating, I mean letting it melt into his mouth and then painstakingly swallowing it). Yesterday was his last sherbet day. Today he can hardly make a sound. There was a day I just wanted to shout “Just go already!! This is too hard to watch!!” But I asked for a blessing and had a good, sincere prayer with God. I remembered that consecration is not about ME doing more or giving more, (because I could not do more of this)… it is about what God does with what I offer. He is the one that consecrates, not me. I have not done anything more with the days after that, but He has done more with them. He has filled me with more love. More calm. More gratitude. Insight to Hyrum’s jumbled words. Somehow, I am capable of doing the thing I've dreaded the most this whole year: watching Hyrum die. 

As I watch him, I've been deeply struck by his tenacity. Hyrum’s been so limited so long. His body doesn’t get full use- he can’t swim like he so loves to do or eat his favorite foods. No walking, talking, swallowing, no moving his right hand… At this point, all he can really do with his body is hurt, grunt softly, listen a little, sleep occasionally, give a small thumbs up, and just… be in it. Honestly. That’s really it. What joy is there in that??

But he CLINGS to it. He loves it. It is worth so much to him that he will take the hurt and restlessness to have it 10 days more. He literally just lays there! But he will not let it go. He actively chooses to BE for every small moment that his body lets him stay.

I’m reminded of that time I first encountered Hyrum’s soul. I’d just learned that I was pregnant, and was doubting it was real. I stood there, washing dishes, and I felt him next to me- this bright and eager spirit who would be my firstborn son. I felt him yearn to be here, so excited to begin. He ached to have his body, have this life, this earthly time.

Cuz even if it can’t do much, a body does a lot. It offers me relationships- the family that birthed me and the people in my space. Proximity is bonding, and a body gives me that. It ages and instructs the soul. It feels. It hears. It sees. It has the power to touch and change and shape and build and be. It offers me a NOW that’s real beyond what I believe. The mind exists untethered by a time or state or place. It drifts between sad and happy, there and here, then and now. It self-creates and self-destructs and builds the world it seeks. 

Our bodies? They are in the now. One place. One time. One world- the one we share, with all its truths, complex, beyond control. The gift of now… It offers me sensation, social bonds. It offers an oasis in which wandering minds can dwell. It offers a reality that’s bigger than my own, and if I choose to learn from it, it shapes my very soul.

How could I treat that casually?! My anchor to the world? My window to experience? My root in human love? When I think of my body, I should appreciate its follies and engage with all its gifts. It merits careful care, active respect, and intentional experience. Truthfully, I ought to be thanking God every day that I even have one at all.

So as excruciating as it is to watch my son struggle and stiffen and fade, I guess I see his wisdom. A few more days of living is a gift worth dying for. The least that I can do is let him live it, help him be. I’ll sit with him. I’ll watch him hurt. I’ll learn what he can teach.


Comments

  1. Thank you for everything Erica. Your experience with Hyrum is giving us a perspective of how to live, how to die, and how to love. I remember the day we were at the park. Watching the kids play, knowing that you would be at this place in time soon. Our hearts and love are with you, with your family and with Hyrum. Prayers and blessings we ask in your behalf. Love to you- Cheryl Farrar, Village Ward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your thoughts, feelings and prayers have touched me, and changed me to look beyond myself. I hope it has helped you to share and be so completely honest!! Love and prayers to you and your family.

      Delete
  2. I love hearing from you! Give that boys hand a loving touch of love from the Crockett’s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Erica. Love to you and your family. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspired words and thoughtful, deep observations of a loving mother. Thank you for sharing with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love you Erica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Erica and Michael,
    Your writing as I have said before, is so genuine, sincere, heartfelt. I’m anxious to read each time you write, because I feel your sensitivity life, love, and loss. I am often praying for healing ❤️‍🩹 in your family and home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love you - miss you, pray for you and think of you and yours all the time.Bless you all - your PAlo alto family R&R

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you and your whole family so much. Please hug everyone for me. You are amazing!
    I wish I was with you now to hug you!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post is truly a prayer--an offering of the soul. I ache with you and pray for you and learn so much from you. God bless you and Michael and Hyrum and your family. I love you every day from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and poignant. Love you all πŸ’”♥️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing your loving heart with us. Two days ago, my 42 year old daughter died from glioblastoma. Your words were a comfort to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing of yourself Erica. Your depth and courage and faith are so inspiring and life-giving for so many. I pray for you to have the strength and love you need to continue ahead in such a difficult space. Sending loves, hugs, tears, and prayers. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Athelia Graham (aka Theo)

      Delete
  13. Sure love you. You have been in my prayers during this time. You are all so courageous. -Crystal Miskin

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have been praying for & thinking of you & Michael & Hyrum each day and now, each hour. Thank you for sharing your exquisitely expressed feelings & thoughts. We love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow πŸ₯Ί Michael and Erica, each time I read your beautiful heartfelt journal of your beautiful son, Hyrum my heart and soul are touched with blessing that cannot be properly expressed. The beautiful phrase from a song comes to mind. "Here's my heart ❤️ Lord, take and seal it, seal it for the courts above." Your family has given your πŸ’•.
    Thank you for your gift of this wonderful journal of Hyrum's life. I was deeply touched with the thoughts you shared regarding the excitement he felt and you felt when you knew you were pregnant. Your insights and ponderings have touched all our lives. I see him in my mind, dancing around in great joy and thanks for his life. He is so very grateful for your loving support, kindness and patience during his illness. He is shouting....I am really, really with Jesus, just like all my pictures. I wanted him near me while I was sick and now he is jumping for joy with me.
    God bless you Michael and Erica and all of your family. May you feel the warmth of his love and divine comfort. The days ahead will be difficult and sacred and filled with love ❤️ They will also be filled with yearning and sadness. You will always miss Hyrum, and he will be watching over all of you with his love reaching out to you each and every day. Anxious for the day when his eternal family will again embrace in the arms of God's love πŸ’•

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment