Another Decline

A journal excerpt:

"Today I went on a morning winter walk with a friend. We had a great chat and endured some wicked winter wind! When I came home, I saw a text from Michael that said "Hyrum had a big change last night." And he was right. Yesterday, Hyrum was crawling. Walking with some assistance. Eating normally. Today, he barely rolled out of bed. His speech is much more slurred. He can hardly swallow or chew. I spent a calm morning watching Avatar with him while McKay crafted a brilliant in-bed iPad stand out of cardboard boxes.

The afternoon got messier as I tried to arrange hospice, cancel future doctor appointments, etc. Lots of phone calls. Eventually the hospice nurse came, along with the clerical guy. We sat down to chat with them, but the nurse skipped all the useful questions and went right to advice giving, telling us exactly how to talk to our other kids about Hyrum's death and explaining that when they're teenagers they'll need counseling... Then when I tried telling them what we need from our hospice care, she cut me off to explain some random machine... And to top it off, she was loud and pushy with Hyrum. No listening. No connection. It was all I could do to survive her one visit, and it took me several hours to calm down after the experience.

As I was trying to do so, there was a knock on the door. It was the neighbor family that miraculously found us at Stanford. Our Hyrum and their baby were there at the same time, being treated for very different things. Their little babe is home now, two doors down from us, recovering and growing. Hyrum is here, dying in the basement. They brought glowsticks, orange juice, and raspberries... Hyrum's favorites. She hugged me and they sang "I'm trying to be like Jesus".

That song... It's important to me. Singing that to my sisters in our childhood bedrooms was the first time I remember noticing that I was feeling the Holy Ghost. Hearing it tonight was comforting in exactly the heavenly way I needed. I cried. They left, and I cried some more. And some more.

My parents brought Caleb and Emily home from their house, and we got them into bed. I asked Mom and Dad to stay. I just wanted them here. Mike and I go up and down the stairs, checking in with kids, getting water for Caleb, etc. Twice, Caleb called out, alarmed on Hyrum's behalf. "Hyrum needs you!" He climbed the stairs to say. "Mom!!" He yelled again, when Hyrum was coughing on his own spit. Sweet, sweet Caleb... "How are you feeling?" I asked him. "Nervous? Sick? Okay? Sad? Normal?" He sobbed to me "He is my bestest bestest friend... and I will not get to play with my brother."

And he's right. I cried with him, brought him upstairs for a brownie, then moved Caleb upstairs to a different bedroom. I will sleep with him tonight.

So yes, today was the "This week, my child will die..." type of day. Some of that was peaceful and lovely. Some of that is emotionally draining in a way I can't describe. And some of that is irritatingly bogged down in logistical details that I wish didn't exist. We'll find a different nurse. We'll keep arranging grandparents and cousin play for Caleb and Emily while we take extra Hyrum time. We'll keep crying and talking to each other and breathing fresh air whenever we can. We'll be able to do this... Right?"

Comments

  1. Thank you for your vulnerability in sharing these moments. We love you so much -the dennises

    ReplyDelete
  2. You Will, the Heavely Father walked this path before you guys. And you are sooooo special and sweet, and loved by Him, that He Will not leave you in this one, specialy this one. A big hug from Chile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ❤️❤️❤️❤️Good luck Mace family! May God bless you through this sacred time of passing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our love and prayers are with you. I hope you’ll reach out to a different hospice company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don’t know you, but I went to high school with Spencer and saw your post from a few weeks ago on social media. I just wanted to tell you that my family and I are praying for you and Hyrum and your family every day. My daughter (Taylor, 4.5) came out from her afternoon “quiet time” right after I read your blog for the first time and she saw me crying. She asked if they were happy tears, which is usually the case. I said no and explained to her what was happening with Hyrum. Ever since then she has prayed for him and your family by name every night. I just wanted to comment and let you know that our family is thinking of yours so much right now, and we are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Words can’t describe what you are going through. Put one foot in front of the other and step out in faith.
    Hug each other!
    You can do this. Stay strong and remember all the good memories.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m behind in reading the blog, but todays catching up has helped us to feel both your love and pain. We appreciate your comments and willingness to openly share with others your families love for each other. We send love and prayers. Find solace with the Savior Jesus Christ.
    Phil and Celeste Crockett

    ReplyDelete
  8. A home filled with love is most beautiful when you feel the Holy Ghost lingering near. You are doing an amazing work as you lead your family through this grief. Our love to each of you! Brian and Karen Hill

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love you now and always. Grateful for your courage and honesty. Your experience has strengthened US more than you can ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart aches for all of you, but I am grateful for your loving neighbors and close family to buoy you up. You are all in my prayers. Love ❤️ to all!
    Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. We learned in adult stake conference last light that if you felt the Spirit today, the Atonement of Jesus Christ is working in your life. I think by the way you describe the effect that beautiful song had on you this day, we can know for sure that Jesus is there, holding you together. Bless you all. We love you so much. —Tawny

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sweet sweet momma. I love you so much and yet we’ve never met in person. I ache to take away some pain from you all. Know you’re always in my thoughts and prayers. God be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. God has prepared him for great things. Soon he will begin his new and glorious mission. What a blessing it is that he is yours. God bless and strengthen you and help you to understand His will.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Praying for you and your family this week and hope you feel support and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When my mother died in her bed in our home the Lord gave us the blessing to be all prepared. She had cancer so we had the nurse and doctor following her with the drugs to keep her sleepy for the last hours of life in her old, weak body.
    3 days before her death the Lord gave her the blessing to understand clearly that there is no dead, a concept that she never really got as a catholic full of doubts.
    So she had no fear and let her go peacefully.
    I am sure that when that time will come Heaven will open a corridor and connect your family to those who are waiting for your beloved son to give him love and help while you ll go on raising your children on Earth.
    As my mother said... There is no death ❤️
    Ornella, Italy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment