Angels and Prayers

I posted that last blog update, not because I really had anything inspiring to say, but because I knew that if I left myself a whole "last week of life" post to write, it'd be WAY too big and overwhelming and messy, and I'd hate writing it. After posting that unpolished journal update, I slept hard and woke up to many kind messages from friends. The view downstairs was even more surprising- Hyrum was on the living room couch, watching a show. He waved and greeted me, then asked for breakfast.

Um... what.

To my absolute surprise, the whole day was like that. And today. Not quite as strong as before, but NOTHING like Friday. He is swallowing again. Drinking liquids again. Eating food again. That "less than a week" timeline, (which is real, if he isn't able to eat and drink) has suddenly disappeared. And honestly? I can't quite figure out what happened. Here's my best guess: angels and prayers.

Friday night, while I was up sleeping with Caleb, Michael was on duty helping Hyrum not to choke... on his own spit. The one good thing that hospice nurse did for us was quickly order us a suction machine, and Michael was putting it to good use! By 3:00 a.m. he was exhausted. About that time, something changed, and he heard a voice say, "You can sleep now. We got this."

Michael slept. At 6, they both woke, still alive. MUCH more alive than Hyrum had been the day before, actually. Between an undeniable heavenly intervention and all the prayers offered after ya'll read our blog post, things really CHANGED. To be clear: I don't think prayer always works like that. I don't think God cares less if they don't. But this time, we have a LOT more good days ahead of us because of your faith. Thank you.

Hyrum's tumor is obviously advancing. It will still kill him, by either taking out his spontaneous breathing or weakening his muscles too much to swallow food/water. Any way it happens, it's painless, and there are medications to help with discomfort. We're prepared to have him go (though as I learned on Friday, being prepared does NOT make the tangible thing any easier). I do think, however, that we're prepared in more ways than we realize.

One example: our sweet fam rearranged the beds recently to make things more comfortable in our room. When I walked in after the moving, something clicked inside me. It's a furniture arrangement that's never been done (at least in my 8 years in the Mace family), but I had seen it before. I recognized it. It was a space that I knew. I felt a soul-deep echo of "This is where it happens."

I don't need to know exactly when or how it happens. We're in the right place. Somewhere, etched in my soul, is a memory from before- way back from when my soul began with God. If He cared enough then to coach me for this very tender time, He cares enough now to help us really do it. So I guess the answer to my own question from Friday is "Yes. Yes, we can."

Comments

  1. So happy you get some extra time with Hyrum! Thank you for sharing your tender experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for extra time. 💕 we’ll keep praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not able to read one of your posts without tears. You continue to amaze me with your Christ like love and total faith in him. Your kids are so blessed to have such amazing parents, you can feel the love radiating from every word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much love and prayers to you and your family. Thank you for teaching US during this trying and difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erica I really love that idea of a premortal memory. A confirmation prepared just for you. It's beautiful and reassuring. Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your testimony, faith, and courage. I am praying for you, your sweet son, and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes You can. God is with you. He will give you strength and guidance. Hug everyone for me and and extra hug for my special Hyrum.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love to you and your sweet family. We continue to pray for Hyrum and for all of you. Thank you for being willing to share some of your amazing insights of this journey. Hugs to you all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I had words to express what is in my heart for you right now. But just know there is a lot of love and there are a lot of prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m grateful..,

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much love for you guys. Thank you for being willing to share your journey through your personal Gethsemane. Our hearts ache for what you are going through… We are praying for peace and strength for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’m so so happy to hear that our prayers were honored. I believe that you’ll stay faithful to God through all this, and I think He knows that too. I see this as pure love from him to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Prayers for you and your family. I pray for Hyrum and your family every day to find comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are praying for all of you during this unimaginable valley - praying for strength, for comfort, for love, for compassion, and for hope towards a light that one day will shine brightly on each of you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment