Just a Good Ole Update

Nothing profound this time! Just an overall person by person update.

Emily. She's currently potty training herself. (Absolutely a blessing because I do not have the 3 day juice/movie/underwear marathon in me right now...) Still says "Rawr!!" very loudly at any given opportunity. Clomps around in sparkly shoes and rainbow Crocs. Climbs everything and often solicits "Should she be doing that?" from strangers. Loves to hide from me. Laughs at her own cleverness constantly. Sometimes stops being mischievous to tenderly stroke my face and ask me "Okay?"

Caleb. This boy LIVES in costumes and his brain is SO full. Last week I was about to give him his preventative inhaler (we do it twice daily) and I asked him if he had any questions before we started. His response was something like, "Well... Can monkeys really run? What does a rhino baby eat? Do eagles live everywhere on the earth? How much water is in that lake? How to baby turtles know when to hatch?" And I was just... stunned. His actual questions were SO much more creative and original than I am capable of even remembering, let alone answering... And it honestly shifted how I parent him. If he has THAT much mental dialogue and curiosity and observation running through his brain at any given moment... Of COURSE he takes a few reminders to put on his shoes!

He also asks other questions, like “What is lunch?” “What is a nap?” and “Do you love me?” With all the different lives we’re living right now, naps and lunch and my parenting really DO look different every two weeks… and that’s hard on a little guy. He has his moments of panic, playfulness, sadness, sweetness, understanding, confusion, and everything in between. He’s more socially and emotionally aware than I could have ever expected. He’s an incredible boy.

Hyrum.
Is walking around, eating normal meals again, and speaking well. He’s playing with cousins, sewing with grandma, and giggling with Caleb again. I am still processing/in denial about this, but I think he’s totally at peace. With his body. With the requirements of his cancer treatments. With his still-limited physical abilities. With the experiences we’ve had this year. With the time he has left to live. With God and his parents and his siblings and himself… And I can’t really believe that happened so soon. He still has his tired days and angry moments, but all he really wants now is to see Clara.

It’s a strange spot to be in. Months ago, in a sacred priesthood blessing, Hyrum was promised that he would not die until he was ready. That he would choose when he gets to go. And seeing him now… I wonder. Is that moment now? What about his progress, all the treatments he has done? So far they seem successful, so we’ve still got time here, right? Maybe. For a long time I’ve known that he would die, but now it doesn’t feel so distant.

Michael.
Continues to amaze me with his energy and strength. The outpatient weeks are more complicated for him than the hospital ones… more kids and more stuff and an emotional wife to take care of instead of just one son’s medical routine. He is crushing it at work. He adapts to new places and routines with total acceptance and gratitude. He’s aching for more positive to balance out the hard- more running or a church assignment or more happy, carefree times. We’re trying, but he’s first to sacrifice his needs and last to complain about them. I am constantly trying to figure out how to be a good wife to that man lol He’s unreal. I love him.

Erica.
I probably wrote too much of myself into all those other updates already! I am doing really well. I semi-sprained my ankle again and can’t run yet. Not thrilled about that because it leaves me with an extra chunk of emotion that I have to handle a different way now… maybe this is why I gained some serious Thanksgiving weight? Lol I’m trying to find the best way to live around the fact that Hyrum could die any day now OR he could keep hanging out and doing treatments well into next year? Those both seem VERY possible so it’s kinda a draw for now and I’ve not made any big changes yet. I still feel the God-given lightness from post-Caleb’s-RSV. Morning routine isn’t settled yet and I’m trying to be patient with myself. I loved our time in UT but feel ready to fly back and do another CA round.

And that’s about it (for now) from the every day Maces. We are continually humbled and grateful for the goodness and love we receive from each of you. Thank you for choosing to take part in our journey. It is more meaningful than I can say.

Comments

  1. I’m feeling so much love for you and emanating from you! As I read your ruminating messages, the Spirit testifies of your efforts to remain in close touch with our Savior. Teresa Corry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was grateful to see you and your family the other night … and sorry I didn’t ever get a chance to talk with you! I’m sure you needed to get your kids to bed right away after it finished. Just know we love you and are thinking of you all the time. My kids are always praying for “Hyrum and his family”. Thank you for sharing your blog with us. I love you all so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blog and the pictures here are PRICELESS! What a character Caleb is!!! And Emily is so CUTE! Hyrum just humbles me and makes me appreciate health more than ever. His sure faith is such an example of becoming like a child that I know I need. As for Michael and you? Two amazing parents who the Lord knows and loves ever so deeply. I know He sorrows with you in all you've had to go through but His love and His Plan is constant. Thank you for sharing so much with all of us. We love you always- Sue Hart

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see your blog. I always am excited to see it.
    Your family is so special! I really miss seeing and talking to you.
    You are loved and prayed for every day. Take care.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can’t wait to find your updates. It was so nice to see the photo Phil sent me. I’m glad you were able to take a break and come see family here, xo Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the update on everyone in your family. We are sending our love and prayers for your peace and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Love you, Erica! And each individual in your family. I love how you see them so deeply and notice and cherish their unique gifts. YOU are graceful and strong, patient and persevering, wise and thoughtful, absolutely beautiful and a perfect match for Michael. ❤️ You’ve taken every piled-on trial and let it bring you greater lightness and peace. I hope this round of treatment goes routinely well but I have seen enough of your family being blessed through God’s twists and turns to trust His will for you and all of us. Enjoy the CA weather as we wait and see! 😘 Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops that was Maria. Sorry, I meant to sign my name ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. Taking a minute to tell how fun it was to take a selfie with Michael and Hyrum, a couple of weeks ago. Everyone was so glad for your visits. Reading about your lives is sorta perplexing, but the inspired aspect of Father’s love is so evident. We send our love and prayers. Thank you Mace’s

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment