A *Breakdown* Journal Transcript

It's *relatively* calm moments like these when I forget what this blog is actually about... And wonder why some of you sweet friends are still reading? I don't always have a concrete cancer update to give, and I guess that's alright. I guess if I can put words to some of this strange experience, and if you take the time to read them, it's one way you volunteer to be with me. It's one reminder for me that I'm not alone. And it helps.

That said, this is usually a strange, raw, emotional monologue, and no one actually needs more of that in their lives lol My apologies and gratitude to you brave souls. Below I've included an August 24 transcript from my cheap spiral bound notebook. It's half "summary of an ultra-breakdown" and half "therapeutic musing while I put myself back together". Since breakdown, I'm trying to do the "live gently, feel deeply" phase where I expect less from me, try to talk about the feels, and consciously make sure happy still happens. 

"I haven’t cried like this since diagnosis. Tonight, it all came back: the tingly fingers and toes, hyperventilating, etc. This time I even vomited. Woohooo... I worried this would happen when we came to Utah. That the sentimental places and people and conversations would take the scab off and force me back to the beginning. Here I am.

And what if this is the carousel of my life from now on? Small ups and downs within an ever-evolving cycle in which I am once again shattered and forced to heal? Is that really even healing or just biding time until the next heartbreak? If it was so easy to lose this pulled-back-together shell that I spent 5 months making, how can I ever legitimately be a real person again?
I remember losing pre-DIPG Hyrum. It took a while to let him go. Now I genuinely, deeply love my emotionally explosive, tender, grieving, clinging-to-childhood Hyrum and tonight was brutal reminder that I will lose this one too. I will lose the “I can still walk” Hyrum, and the “I can still talk” Hyrum. In this mess of the advancing disease and the invasive medical procedures we’ve approved to try and stop it, we lose some of him every day. Tonight, he asked me twice what number comes after 8. Michael recently had to reteach him how to spell his name.

So here I sit, drowning in a lifetime of losing Hyrum. I’ve thought about it, and I can’t even ask God to take this cross away from me, because I know what else would go along with it. Take this darkness, and I step away from love, the kind a mother has. Lift this burden, and my presence in these moments is less real. Dull my pain and I prevent my soul from bending it into blinding compassion, patience, and peace. I can’t ask for a pass.
Do you think God can help me heal it better this time? If my obvious option is brute strength, just muscle through, it’s funny to know how many naps and walks and cries and hugs and prayers and snacks it takes to fuel that kind of strength. You’d think this would look more holy, but every day just feels messy.”

Comments

  1. No matter what I try to say, it just comes out wrong. Messy and holy go together. God can somehow make it happen. When my life was broken and beyond messy, he somehow changed it into something beautiful. You are amazing and I relish your words of hope and heartbreak in the same heartbeat. Thank you so much for sharing your journey. I wish I could lighten your burden, but instead I will cry with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! This is Rosie, one of your young women (now 22 and at BYU!) from the Sunset 10th ward. I’ve kept your blog open as a tab on my browser for a while now, and I’ve been trying to figure out why I keep coming back to it. I think it may be because your stories and experiences remind me what it is to be human. To love deeply, cry hard, find common humanity, question things, to be vulnerable. Even though the things you share are so hard (and I’m sure I can’t even imagine the depth of what you feel), somehow I end up feeling hopeful by the end of every post. I am reminded of what binds us all together, and I can feel that God is with you. Thank you for your vulnerability. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I am not familiar with this circumstance, I am familiar with this feeling. This deep, pervasive loss that reappears when you least, and most, expect it. I am sorry you feel this ache, but know that you are not alone. And that there are good moments mixed in, if we remember to look for them when we come up for air. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are here Erica- keep posting- keep writing, let your thoughts help give you comfort- or whatever it is by writing. Remember there are many who care what you and your family are dealing with. And if you are ready- contact my friend who has been there- we love you- Cheryl Farrar

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so humbled reading your blog. Your strength helps me learn more of Gods grace. Your family is always in my heart and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erica I love you! I hope your writing gives you some healing! It gives me strength. Your family is always in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you and your family so much. Please keep blogging it make me feel closer to you. Know how much I miss you all. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Words become poor. I read this after a friend told me about your blog and I have to say that reading it made me feel what you wrote. I admire your strength and I can see you are so loved! Even though I do not know you personally, I love you and will keep you and your family in my prayers. ❤️🙏

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beyond the fact that we love you, I keep coming back because you are so close to Heaven. When you express it reveals the Lord’s fingertips parting the veil for you and you bring me there too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My friend gave me a plack that says"Keep on keeping on". I hope you all can do that. Love you so much! Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love you🤍🤍🤍

    ReplyDelete
  12. As I read your blog it helps me to understand more about Father’s love and understanding in our lives. Celeste has been living with her mother for two and a half years now. We do all we can to help this sweet 98 year old lady. But now, as each day comes, we see more of the effects of aging. I know mother could live for several years and at the same time be gone tomorrow. Our conversations with her may be current or from a totally different time in her life. Yet for me I try to enjoy her sweet spirit and continue to do all I can to support the ladies in my life. We love your dear family. We pray for your internal peace and strength to cope with the challenges of day to day life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love and prayers for your darling eternal family ❤️

      Delete
  13. I don’t know you—I briefly knew your husband in college so I see your posts. Mother to mother I wish I could give you the biggest hug, I cry with you from a distance, I think about you and your family often, and I marvel at your strength. Strength that I’m sure feels inadequate, because what strength could even feel enough for this circumstance. I wish I had wise words to say or something that can ease your burden, but I wanted to tell you what an incredible mother you are. How lucky Hyrum and all your kids are to have you and Michael for parents.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am going to be renting your house starting in a couple of weeks. Suzy told me about your story, so I just started following your journey on this blog. Yesterday, I drove by your house and prayed over it and your whole family. It is a privilege to be able to come alongside you in belief that God has us all in his hands and that we can trust him in all things, even when we can not understand his plans. Your faith during this incredibly difficult time is a beautiful witness to the strength of God and community. Know that I will care for your house as it is mine, as I see it as a holy place. -Stacia

    ReplyDelete
  15. I come and read for three reasons. I love you, I echo your mommy heart and I crave the faith that you show that is lacking in many parts of the world today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love you, Maces. To me, grief is more like a receding tide than a carousel. You will have pain. A wave crashes over you, then another and another. It feels like they will never stop, and you’ll always be gasping and a mess. But the waves slowly become less powerful as the tide goes out. You may always get wet. The waves may surprise you. But sometime you’ll be able to stay standing through it. Sometime later, it will be just up to your knees. Then your ankles, then your toes. I can’t fathom your tide, and we love to support you. I believe in Christ’s healing power. You are loved.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment